We are currently working with seven government hospitals to improve paediatric oncology services in Bangladesh. We also working with International Children’s Palliative Care Network to improve services for children with life-limiting conditions requiring palliative care.
Less than 1%
of children requiring palliative care in Bangladesh have access to it
children in Bangladesh in need of specialised end-of-life care.
children in Bangladesh in need of palliative care.
World Child Cancer – Bangladesh
University College London Hospital
Jewel Ahmed, Programme Coordinator
Our project in Bangladesh is focused on improving paediatric oncology services in government hospitals. In addition, we also work to improve the quality of life of children with cancer who cannot be cured.
It’s estimated that around 9,000 to 12,000 children develop cancer in Bangladesh every year. However, unfortunately, only one third receive a proper diagnosis.
Besides, there are an estimated two million children in Bangladesh who need palliative care, yet less than 1% of these children ever access it. This is because of limited awareness and available treatment facilities.
- Training for healthcare professionals including doctors, nurses and administrators on the provision of paediatric services and children’s palliative care.
- Raising awareness of childhood cancer through community events and campaigns.
- Providing technical support to improve oncology services and strengthen health systems.
- Regular contact with policymakers to advocate for improving health services for children with cancer.
- Providing psychosocial support for vulnerable patients and their families.
- Paediatric oncology services are highly centralised in Bangladesh
- Lack of specialist paediatric oncologists
- Few healthcare professionals trained and limited palliative care services
- Widespread poverty and inequality across the country
- A lack of awareness about early signs of childhood cancer
Will you join us?
Together we can close the gap in childhood cancer care.
FIND OUT MORE
Work for Us
Annual Reviews & Accounts